Today, September 1, 2009, Gmail was down from 20-00/8pm GMT it is actually in progress now , but my IMAP access from Outlook still works, cool.
Gmail shows “502 Server error” in the title and “The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request.” in the page. I was able to load it with standart (static HTML/non-ajax) mode, but it looks awful, Outlook with IMAP is much better.
Interesting – is it some attack on Google or what ?
The only issue I experienced with Outlook/IMAP is the absence of gmail contact’s in Outlook and it’s actually slower then Gmail web-application.
But that could be fixed by exporting contacts from GMail in CSV/Outlook format and importing it in Outlook.
Here is instructions for Export/Import GMail contacts
- Click on Contacts in your GMail
- Click Export (right corner)
- Choose “Everyone” and “Outlook CSV format (for importing into Outlook or another application)”
- Open “File/Import and Export” in Outlook
- Select “Import from another program or file”
- Select comma-separated values (Windows)
not sure which encoding GMail use, but russian names inserted as question marks “????”
- Select “Do not import duplicate items” if you don’t want to override your contacts
- Select destination folder for contacts. I’ve choosed “Contacts” in “Personal Folders”
But.. anyway, I’m still the fan of Gmail web application and Google Docs.
Here is the link to Gmail IMAP intructions – select your IMAP client and GO! BTW, I suppose my Android G1 also use IMAP access. Sorry, upps, you have to enable IMAP in GMail first. The bad news is that you need Gmail web application for that, so it’s better to enable it to use later.
Anyway, it is just a backup option for me which help to read couple of recent emails and I steel need to make GMail contacts export/import to work with my GMail in Outlook.
I’d prefer Google and Microsoft will include it (or write plugin) to import GMail contacts in the next version of Outlook 🙂 Sounds like a joke, isn’t it ?